Job Title: Medical Officer (2 Entry Job Placements)
Organisation: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Position Number: MUWRP-004
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of influenza and other emerging infections.
Job Summary: The Medical Officers will act on behalf of the PI to manage the medical care of the subjects and assure documentation of study-related procedures, processes and events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Identify target population
· Identify sources of potential participants
· Determine Methods for approaching each source
· Carry out recruitment meetings
2. Study Preparation:
· Review proposed protocol, as appropriate to ensure clarity, feasibility and subject safety.
· Knowledgeable of HIV Counseling and Testing
· Knowledgeable of GCP
· Conduct Staff Training
· Protocol, Informed Consent, Data Collection Forms
· Conduct Group Consent sessions
3. Study Implementation:
· Individual informed consent
· History and Physical Exam
· Review inclusion/exclusion criteria, screening laboratory results to ensure qualified subjects
· Routinely review Adverse Events, Document Event, Start and Stop Date, Duration, Severity, Action taken/treatment administered, response to treatment, vaccine cause-effect relationship to AE
· Complete SAE forms if needed
· Review Laboratory results for Abnormalities
· Ensure compliance with required study procedures and GCP standards
· Assess and ensure subject safety throughout participation in study
· Ensure source documentation is complete and remains in clinic chart
· Ensure that changes/corrections are done according to GCP
· Protect subject confidentiality
· Routinely review birth control with subject
· Review safe sex behavior with subject
· Ensure appropriate documentation of vaccine study related procedures
· Coordinate recalls of subjects if necessary with clinic staff
· Ensure good medical practice when medical care is needed.
· Actively facilitate referrals as appropriate
· Assist with queries resolution in a timely manner
· Knowledgeable of applicable SOPs
· Cordially attend Daily Staff operational meetings
· Participate in scientific research writing and proposal development
· Perform any other duty as may be directed by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery.
· Possession of a Post Graduate Training in Public Health or related Health field
· Demonstrated scientific writing skills
· At least 1 year of post-qualification professional experience
· Strong leadership and communication skills.
· Significant experience in HIV prevention, care and treatment services
· Prior experience of living and working in a rural environment.
· Prior Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training an advantage
· Computer literacy i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, emailand Internet is desired
· Working knowledge of Regulatory Procedures
· Previous work in a research environment is also an added advantage
· Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Ability to work on own initiative.
· Demonstrated ability to interact with cross‐functional teams without formal authority
· Ability to professionally communicate in writing, verbally or other means deemed appropriate.
· Good team player
· Fluency in verbal and written English
· Able to fluently read and speak Luganda.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitable candidates should download application forms, Click Here, and attach them on their Applications letters, Photocopies of academic qualifications and Resume with three referees to: The Human Resource Administrator,Makerere University Walter Reed Project, Plot 42 Nakasero Road., P.O. Box 16524, Kampala, Uganda.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 31st August 2015