Job Title: Project Accountant
Organization: Millennium Promise Alliance Inc
Project Name: Drylands Integrated Development Project
Duty Station: Uganda
Funding Source: Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
Reports to: Finance Manager
The Government of Uganda through the Office of the Prime Minister has received credit financing from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), for the Dry Lands Integrated Development Project to be implemented in the Karamoja Sub region (Project reference number UG-0082-83). The Office of the Prime Minister will implement the Drylands Integrated Development Project through Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. an International Non-Profit Organisation solely committed to supporting the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals through the Millennium Villages Projects (MVPs) in 10 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa. The Dry Lands Integrated Development Project will implement multi sectoral interventions aimed at holistically addressing challenges faced by pastoralist communities that directly contribute to the objective of reducing vulnerability, building resilience, and accelerating the achievements of the UN Millennium Development Goals mainly in the districts of Moroto, Napak, Nakapiripiriti and Amudat.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter timely accounting transactions in QuickBooks software
- Prepare payment and journal vouchers and ensure that all payments are compliant with applicable procedures and are backed by relevant support documents
- Keep safely cheque books and prepare cheques for approved payments
- Disburse all payments as per the financial guidelines of the organization
- Ensure compliance with applicable Laws and Regulations matters including compliance with applicable tax laws such remunerations and withholding taxes.
- Maintain a proper filing system for finance records and other documents
- Prevent overspending by providing timely advice to the project before approval of requisitions and purchase orders
- Monitor expenses for each donor funding as well as budgets expenditure.
- Check and follow up on timely accountabilities for all staff advances
- Prepare and keep an updated asset register and ensure effective controls are in place to safeguard the project equipment.
- Prepare monthly stores returns and reconciliations and keep an updated stores register; and ensure effective controls are in place to safeguard the project inventories.
- Ensure that for all inventories, controls are in place and effective, are updated and documents are.
- Carry out bank reconciliations
- Ensure controls over petty cash are in place and effective.
- Actively facilitate internal and external audits.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant field from a recognized college or university
- Past experience in using QuickBooks software will be a plus
- Possess the ability to work under minimum supervision
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets and at least 2 accounting packages including QuickBooks
- Good and effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving skills and a quick learner
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritise responsibilities.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to apply by sending an application letter (in a sealed envelope clearly marked with “”APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF…””), curriculum vitae, three work related referees, copies of academic certificates, and testimonials either hand delivered or posted to this address: Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. Uganda, C/O Pacification and Development Department, 5th Floor Room 2521. Office of the Prime Minister, Plot 9-11 Apollo Kaggwa Road, P.O. Box 341, Kampala – Uganda.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd October 2014 by 2:00pm