Job Title: Project Manager/Advisor Renewable Energy
SNV is a non-profit international development organization established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 40 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty.
We are present on the ground in 38 developing countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America and operate in Agriculture & Food Security, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our more than 1,000 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and over 80 per cent are nationals of the countries where we work.
SNV has been working in Uganda since 1989 supporting activities in 108 districts. Our focus is in three sectors: Agriculture; Renewable Energy; and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Our advisory services are in line with Ugandan policies and are tailored for specific Ugandan organisations and districts.
The Uganda Domestic Biogas Programme (UDBP) is part of the Africa Biogas Partnership Programme (ABPP) started in 2009, funded by the Dutch government, managed by HIVOS and implemented with SNV technical assistance. The program helps develop a commercially viable, market-oriented biogas sector that supports the use , of domestic biogas plants as a local, sustainable energy source. Domestic biogas plants help individual households to sustainably reduce dependence on firewood and expensive fossil fuels, saving them time and money. Other advantages include reduced deforestation and greenhouse gas emissions, and improved public health – in particular for women and children – by providing smokeless cooking. Employment is created through the set-up of bio digester construction enterprises. The UDBP focuses on developing private sector initiatives, quality standards, financial solutions and others to overcome the challenges for end users and bio digester construction enterprises, while developing a sustainable biogas market. The programme also looks to improving the use of bio slurry to improve crop yield and income for farmers.
Job Summary: SNV Uganda’s Project Manager/Advisor Renewable Energy will steer the technical assistance for the Uganda Domestic Biogas Programme (UDBP) and support development of the renewable energy sector in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Management: oversee the planning, implementation, risks and deliverables of biogas projects; lead cross functional team and coach teams of SNV advisors and local implementing partners; manage deadlines and budgets and reporting to donors.
Delivery of Renewable Energy advisory services: evaluate, select and provide advisory services to implementing partners, service providers and other stakeholders; provide market intelligence, financial brokering, evidence-based advocacy that promotes an enabling legal and policy environment.
Business development: responsible for the design competitive project proposals and develop new strategic initiatives to scale biogas and integrated renewable energy in partnership with Biogas Solutions Uganda Ltd.
External representation: represent SNV in meetings with government, public and private investors and other (international development partners. Develop written cases to be published.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should possess a Master’s degree in energy, environment, economics, agriculture or related fields;
- At least eight years of relevant working experience in renewable energy or business development in for-profit or non-profit organization;
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management of not less than five years.
- Proven experience in advisory services including capacity building, empowerment, facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes and business development.
- Significant experience in business development, programme design, proposal writing, international donor and private investor relationship management.
- Prior experience in developing small to medium size enterprises and distribution channels in rural context.
- Past exposure and experience with financial institutions at the village level (SACCO, VSLA) and national level a plus.
- Experience in inclusive business, climate-smart agriculture, youth entrepreneurship, gender mainstreaming and governance is an added advantage.
- A mature, self-motivated implementer with excellent leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills. Proficient in MS word & excel at advanced level.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified applicants should apply by sending a motivation letter, an updated Curriculum Vitae, Names and contact details of two professional referees.
Also send ideal concrete examples of proven experiences as indicated above will be an added value. All applications should be sent via email to email@example.com
Deadline: 15th September, 2014 by 17:00 (Ugandan time)