Job Title: Research Assistant (Agri Skills 4 You Project)
International Institute for Tropical Agriculture is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. ZOA Uganda is an international development agency focusing on rehabilitation of displaced communities with main focus on livelihoods support. IITA will support ZOA Uganda to perform a practically oriented research during 39 months to benefit the Agri Skills For You development project in West-Nile sub region. The AS4Y project targets 3,300 subsistence farmers by promoting adoption of improved agronomic, business and marketing skills. The research will be performed during the full project period and will allow to identify the most constraining factors in the current agricultural production system, tailor-fit the farming recommendations to the Vocal situation and monitor its effectiveness to improve the position of the benefiting households.
Job Summary: The Research assistant will be responsible for a diagnostic farming system survey in the West-Nile region. The survey focuses on key crops, nutrient cycles, land management, crop pests and diseases, integration of crop farming and livestock livelihood strategies. Out of the survey appropriately adapted training materials will be developed for use in the project. Secondly, the research assistant will also perform a Practical Action Research to assess the effectiveness of the developed training materials and the agricultural extension approach of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Summarize earlier research findings and organize feedback to regional stakeholders Initiate farmer community participatory discussions to validate research findings and initiate a process of farmer led agro-production analysis leading to secondary research questions
- Analyze crop performance data, interpret results and develop scientific-based intervention recommendations to the project
- Develop demo-packages with farming recommendations, set up and evaluate field-trials and convert into understandable training materials
- Intuitively review farmers skills adoption under project extension model and develop alternatives with attention for effectiveness and innovation
- Exchange with national research organisations and agricultural institutions
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must possess a Masters of Science in Agriculture or related fields
- At least four years of practical scientific research experience
- Good knowledge and understanding of challenges by subsistence farmers in Northern Uganda.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Excellent analytical skills and proven knowledge of relevant computer packages for statistical data analysis
- Very pro active attitude, having the ability to work with limited supervision
- Love to combine field based community work with data analysis and statistical components
- Ability and willingness to ride a motorcycle in remote area with a valid driving/riding license
- Knowledge of West-Nile languages is an added advantage
How to apply for the job:
All candidates who suitably qualify for the position should send their application letters together with curriculum vita, names and contacts of three referees to: HR@zoa.ug in subject header “Application Research Assistant AS4Y.”
NB: Please apply by e-mail and send ONLY application letter and CV (3 pages maximum). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 10th August 2014