Job Title: Supply Assistant
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSCE will be achieved through the redeployment of resources from the regional missions it serves.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Supply Warehouse Distribution Centre Manager, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist the Supply Warehouse Distribution Centre Manager in the overall receipt, inspection, verification and storage of incoming assets and supplies.
- Enters data on all incoming expendable and non-expendable UN property, acquisitions, disposals, transfers, deletions and corrections.
- Updates the Property Record Custodians database according to Departmental requests.
- Actively participates in periodic physical inventories of UN equipment to ensure accuracy of serial and decal numbers, stock descriptions, net total on hand and exact location of property.
- Designs and develops spreadsheet reports and databases using various software platforms in accordance with instructions received from supervisor.
- Proposes, develops and implements and suggests improvements in procedures to automate and expedite processing of inventory.
- Drafts routine correspondence for signature by supervisor when requested and register and file incoming correspondence.
- Ensure that equipment is received, stored, rotated and disposed of effectively in accordance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Supports in the oversight, control, and proper tracking of equipment and supplies issued from stockholdings and ensure that all relevant records are reconciled, updated and maintained to conform to expected organizational standards and goals.
- Carry out physical inventory checks, cycle counts and random spot check of expendable and nonexpendable property, and update the Galileo Inventory Managements System database.
- Intuitively review stock levels at regular base to ensure adequate stock levels are maintained.
- Process all relevant data and perform data entry and updates in relevant databases, documents and repositories.
- Initiate timely write off for equipment beyond economical repair or past life expectancy and prepare required documentation for signature and approval of supervisor.
- Prepare the scheduling of distribution and deliveries of equipment and supplies from the main warehouse to regional warehouses/distribution centers and to end users.
- Coordinate shipping and transportation activities with other sections and stakeholders.
- Analyze and consolidate technical data and generate a variety of statistical tables, standard and technical reports using the Business Objects Tool.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Warehouse Distribution Centre Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have completed secondary school level with relevant certifications in logistic and database management.
- Past exposure and experience in inventory and supply management or related area is desirable.
- A minimum of four years’ experience in Logistic and database management is required.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft office applications and the ability to learn UN specific applications.
- Possess a valid driving permit with experience in all vehicle classes. Fork lift experience is a MUST requirement.
Professionalism – Knowledge of relevant UN rules, regulations, administrative procedures, policies and directives, and of inventory and control guidelines, directives and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Client Orientation – strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement.
Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should submit their applications which should include the following documents:
- Cover Letter (letter of motivation or application letter);
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), download here
- Academic Certificate(s) and/or High School/Secondary Diploma;
- Copy of birth certificate; or copy of National ID; or copy of Passport.
- Internal candidates must submit the two (2) most recent performance evaluations (e-pas)
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement
Number and the Job Title: email@example.com
Or send to: RSCE, Entebbe Support Base, Buku Road, P.O Box 710. Entebbe
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number and the Job Title.
Application received after the established deadline will not be considered.
Deadline: 29th September, 2014