Wageningen UR Uganda is an organization supporting societal learning and innovation processes at macro, meso and micro level in Uganda involving different stakeholder groups working together on development issues.
Wageningen UR Uganda with support from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is implementing a four years’ Integrated Seed Sector Development (ISSD) programme. The programme aims to strengthen the development of a vibrant, pluralistic and market-oriented seed sector that is able to address key challenges that hamper the seed sector such as seed quality assurance and availability of foundation seed.
In collaboration with the government of Uganda, three field offices are hosted at Abi (West Nile), Mbarara (Western Uganda) and Ngetta (Northern Uganda) Zonal Agricultural Research and Development Institute (ZARDI). Each centre hosts an Agribusiness Expert and a Seed Expert working with 10 farmer groups spread over several districts strengthening their capacity to produce and market quality seed of locally demanded crops and varieties and support them towards developing commercially sustainable local seed businesses. In 2015, ISSD Uganda will engage in out-scaling the number of Local Seed Businesses (LSBs) from 30 to 100 through partner organisations.
Job Summary: The M&E and Communication Coordinator will actively support the Chief of Party and field based Technical Experts in coordinating evidence based monitoring and to share knowledge about the ISSD programme and approach with key seed sector stakeholders. The M& E and Communication Coordinator will serve two functions in the project. In his/her M&E capacity, s/he will monitor and evaluate progress on achieving project outcomes vs. targets, to enable management, donors and partners to make vital adjustments to maximize project effectiveness. In his/her Communication capacity, s/he will develop and implement strategic communications between seed sector stakeholders in Uganda and of programme results.
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and update the M&E and communication strategy for ISSD Uganda;
- Assist the technical experts in their monitoring and evaluation and communication about ISSD and Local Seed Businesses and institutional change;
- Actively facilitate organisational learning and reflective M& E processes;
- Support the technical staff in the design of data collection tools, supervise data collection and analysis and maintain the ISSD database;
- Support external studies and research;
- Oversee the publication of ISSD materials through appropriate communication channels such as flyers, newsletters, magazines, stories, newspaper articles, radio messages and information on the ISSD – Agri ProFocus webpage, etc;
- Build and grow partnerships with other organisations for learning and monitoring.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience needed for the job:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold an MSc degree in Agricultural extension and communication or MA in social science or related field;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to present written document to a large audience and to prepare enticing and evidence based reading materials on the ISSD programme;
- A minimum of three or more years proven experience in M&E and communication;
- Past exposure and experience in data management and use of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools and methods;
- Significant experience in the design and implementation of a communication strategy;
- Adequate knowledge of learning-oriented M&E, ‘Theory of change’ approach and ‘outcome mapping’;
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in word processing, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, internet use, website content management systems and statistical packages;
- Ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team, excellent interpersonal skills, analytical and attentive to detail;
- Open to new ideas, sharing own knowledge and applying knowledge in daily work;
- Possess the ability to analyse issues and problems systematically, gather broad and balanced input, draw sound conclusions and translate them in communication strategies and documentation;
- A productive self-starter who can develop and put in place innovative information ideas;
- Willingness to travel extensively in Uganda;
- Past exposure and experience in the Uganda seed sector is an added benefit.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CVs and cover letters with three work related referees to the address or e-mail below. All applications shall be marked with the position being applied for. E-mails that exceed 2 MB will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 19th October, 2014