Vacancy title: Program Officer Advanced HIV Disease Management
Type: FULL TIME.
Category: Administrative & Office
Jobs at: African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Deadline of this Job: 20th December 2019
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Butabika , East Africa
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a not for profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with Ministries of Health, regional and international partners. AFENET works to strengthen epidemiology and disease surveillance capabilities of African countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the lntegrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy and the international Health Regulations (IHR).
We look forward to fill the three positions with highly qualified and experienced persons. The recruitment shall be done by AFENET through this advert as well as secondment of the suitable and qualified personnel to the Ministry of Health.
Position: Program Officer Advanced HIV Disease Management (AHD)
Reports to: National Coordinator EID/VL
Duty Station: CPHL/UNHLS- Butabika
About one third of people beginning treatment for HIV have advanced isease with severe immune suppression, putting them at very high risk of opportunistic infections (Ols) and death. However, there has been very little attention paid to the diagnosis / detection and management of people with advanced HIV Achieving the 95-95-95 fast track target goals set out by UNAIDS will reduce mortality from HlV at all stages of disease, but additional focus an targets that specifically address those at greatest risk of mortality and morbidity are needed. There is need to highlight the need for death reduction targets that focus attention on the early detection of those people most in danger of dying, from undiagnosed advanced disease Ols, drug resistance, and non- suppression challenges..
• To coordinate the design of strengthened laboratory programs to support preventing, diagnosing and treating opportunistic infections associated with advanced disease. This requires new packages including specific guidelines, training, improved access to affordable, quality-assured diagnostic tools at different levels; complementing the established strategies and targets on testing coverage and early detection.
• To support laboratory programs to address the reduction of late diagnosis of Advanced HIV/AIDS-related Ols due to Cryptococcal meningitis, Other severe opportunistic infections (Ols) including pneumocystis iirovecii pneumonia (PIP/PCP), toxoplasmosis, histoplasmosis, TB and talaromycosis which contribute to HIV/AIDS related mortality, despite being curable.
• To coordinate use of baseline CD4 measurement, urinary TB LAM and CrAg LFA and also explore new, simple assays that can accurately identify HlV/AIDS-related opportunistic infections all at once by using one test, including TB, cryptococcal meningitis, pnoumocystis pneumonia, toxoplasmosis, as well as bacterial infection.
• To coordinate the lab component of drug resistance testing.
• Any other duties assigned by supervisor
A Bachelor‘s degree in Laboratory Sciences or Human Medicine. Post Graduate in training in a Health related field especially HIV, Immunology, Public Health, Microbiology, Molecular Biology. At least 3 years’ experience in working with HIV programs especially at Notional level. Hands on laboratory experience in diagnosis of advanced disease including drug resistance is essential.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: 3 years
Job application procedure
Benefit: All positions carry competitive remuneration.
Interested candidates should submit their Application Letters detailing their uxporloncos and skills, Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant academic documents and 3 references to: The Human Resource Ofﬁce, African Field Epidemilogy Network (AFENET).
Email: [email protected] by Friday, December 20, 2019