Job Title: Senior Internal Auditor
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports To: Internal Audit Manager
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment, and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 800+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya.
The Senior Internal Auditor will be tasked to ensure efficient completion of audit assignments in accordance with the set company audit standards and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fully participate in the development of the annual audit plan that aligns with the risk profile of the organization
- Ensure the execution of assigned audit assignments with the highest level of service quality and client satisfaction.
- Prepare and present reports that clearly and concisely reflect audit findings, recommend practical solutions and document processing, and ultimately provide value to the organisation.
- Proactively identify significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Manage the process to track, follow up, and ultimately close all open audit issues in the assigned audit areas.
- Actively participate in team meetings and/or committees to ensure that Internal Audit is well-informed of key business developments that could have an impact on audit priorities and/or plans.
- Ensure that all Internal Audit assignments are performed in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Conduct fraud investigations and forensic audits when the need arises.
- Continuous research to enhance the knowledge around auditing techniques, risk management, and internal controls to improve departmental performance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Abilities and Qualifications
- Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules, and regulations
- Sound knowledge of Accounting and Finance Principles and Practices
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- Tenacity and Ethics
- Effective Communication and Human Relations skills
- Technology Proficient (excel, word, Visio, ability to learn new software)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting & Finance or other closely related fields.
- Partial/fully Certified Internal Audit (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or ACCA required.
- 5 or more years of experience in auditing or investigations.
- Hold values similar to our own: Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented, and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially.
- Positive Attitude: The main mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexibility in schedule and work hours, seeking direct feedback, and seeing every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
- Career Trajectory: This is a role that gives you the opportunity to work with different professionals across the company’s different departments and countries of operation. This role provides you with ongoing learning in a fast-paced business environment and technology to ensure all business risks are kept under check. Apart from learning, one holding this job can grow into an Internal Audit Manager, Head of Risk, Regional Head of Audit, etc.
- Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial inclusion and development. Join this movement!
- Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~800 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
- Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company’s mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: Open until position is closed