Job Title: Product Development Officer (2 Job Opportunities)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Product Development Senior Officer
Application opening: 20th July 2022
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive.
Tugende is tackling the credit gap for small businesses in Africa by enabling informal entrepreneurs to: 1) own income‑generating assets, 2) build a verifiable digital credit profile, and 3) earn future growth opportunities through the Tugende digital platform. This platform includes discounts, smartphones, e‑commerce opportunities, and on‑demand credit lines. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya. Tugende is growing into new geographies and asset product lines including boat engines for fishermen and fridges for retail shops.
About this job
The PD Officer will work in the Product Development Department and he / she will be primarily responsible for conducting in-field market research for new high-potential products and services as defined by the company’s Product Development Strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare detailed new product research proposals
- Conduct in-field market research for new high-potential products and services of the company’s priority sectors and evaluate clients’ needs.
- Lead the Marketing and sales of the new products still under development
- Recommend approval or rejection of loan applications
- Identify and submit a pool of potential product suppliers and service providers for pilot products to the Senior PD Officer to review.
- For products that will be mainstreamed i.e. post-pilot phase, prepare and conduct new product training to responsible Branch Operations staff. Ensure that the Branch Operations staff can sustainably manage new products and services and achieve the company’s annual / quarterly / monthly / weekly targets.
- Actively seek out new product opportunities across all Branches.
- Set up meetings with potential clients to gather feedback and share with internal stakeholders.
- Act as the contact person for all new product and service inquiries and coordinate with the PD Department and the Marketing Department to manage new client / product pipeline across all Branches.
- Ensure client information in systems is 100% accurate at all times. Ensure that data is collected is properly administered
- Identify and recommend different locations where different products and services can be piloted.
- Support the Marketing Department to implement the identified marketing plan across all relevant Branches.
- Complete related documents
- Respond to applicants and resolve any product related issues
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or any other business related courses.
- At least one year of experience in Sales and Marketing of loan products, Field Work and Google Suite.
Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities:
- Ability to Ride a motorcycle
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of G-suite computer application
- Good time-management and ability to work to multiple deadlines
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management and staff at all levels
- Accuracy and good attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of marketing and negotiating techniques
- Fast learner and passion for sales
- Hold values similar to our own: Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially.
- Positive Attitude: The main mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
- Career Trajectory:This is a role with a significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grows. Someone who does this job can be promoted to PD Senior Officer or with a possibility of crossing to other Operations functions.
- Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial inclusion and development. Join this movement!
- Great Team:Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~750 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
- Hours and compensation:This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company’s mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere. 2021 Inclusive Fintech50! Award Winner (https://www.inclusivefintech50.com/2021-cohort), the lendahand blog (https://www.lendahand.com/en-EU/blog/804-lease-to-own-with-tugende-in-uganda) and Reuters video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGGCJGywgg&t=10s)?
Tugende’s future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients without losing high touch personal support.
Tugende plans to expand to at least 30 locations in Uganda over the next two years. We have also opened our first ten branches in Kenya, with more planned later this year as well as a third country in 2022/23.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 1st August 2022