Organisation: MU-JHU Care Ltd (MUJHU)
Funding Source: US National Institute of Health (NIH)
Duty Station: Kampala and Mityana, Uganda
Reports to: Study Coordinator
MU-JHU Care Ltd (MUJHU) is a registered Ugandan non-governmental organization dedicated to providing services and conducting research on HIV/AIDS care and prevention related to mother-to-child transmission of HIV. MUJHU is implementing a US National Institute of Health (NIH)-funded study entitled “Using Enhanced Peer Group Strategies to Support Prevention of Mother To Child HIV Transmission (PMTCT) Option B+ in Uganda” planned to take place in Mulago Hospital, Kampala, and Mityana Hospital, Mityana District.
Job Summary: The Research Counselor will support the Study Coordinator by undertaking field visits to the community in the study recruitment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the review of study documents including standard operating procedures (SOPs) and source documents
- Field test, review and administer study instruments such as Focus group discussion (FGD) guides, Key Informant Interview (KII) Guides, behavioral questionnaires, interview aids, Informed Consent (IC) material and any other tool to be used for the study intervention and data collection according to the study protocol and study SOPs.
- Offer oversight and closely work with the peer support team to implement the study intervention including, providing psychosocial support and counseling for the study participants’ health care, ARV adherence and treatment through the current and subsequent pregnancies; community ARV drug distribution and accountability as well as supporting training and participating in IncomeGenerating Activities.
- Collect data from participants at screening, enrollment and follow-up visits according to the study protocol and study SOPs.
- Participate in Quality Control (QC) review of study source documents
- Take part in tracking of study participants to ensure that study visits are conducted in a timely manner according to the study protocol.
- Participate in staff training on study protocol and SOPs
- Actively communicate and report to the study coordinator any serious adverse events and protocol deviations.
- Participate in regular meetings with the study team under the guidance of the study coordinator to discuss and document study progress
- Offer the study coordinator with study update as requested to compile reports on a regular basis
- Participate in compiling and writing study reports
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Study Coordinator.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Research Counselor jobs should hold a medical background in nursing or midwifery or any other relevant field
- Hold a Diploma or Bachelor degree in Social Sciences and Social Administration or equivalent
- Possession of an HIV/AIDS counseling certificate
- At least two years’ experience in HIV/AIDS counseling preferably in a clinical and/or behavioral research team work or equivalent
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, email, web searching
- Ability to speak, read and write English and Luganda fluently
- Past experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and report writing is desired
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates with the relevant qualifications and experience are encouraged to send a detailed CV demonstrating possession of the job requirements, current position, names and addresses of three (3) referees, copies of academic certificates and testimonials, including daytime telephone contact wither by post or hand delivery to the following address;
The Human Resources Manager, MU-JHU Care Ltd, Upper Mulago Hill Road, P. O. Box 23491, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 19th June 2015 by 5:00pm