The MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organisation funded by the Medical Research Council (UK), DFID (UK) and other donor organisations.
Job Summary: The Senior Scientist will take lead of the HIV vaccine research studies
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning and implementing HIV vaccine research studies according to best practice.
- Coordinating and working with other Unit staff, collaborating partners, sponsors, and funders.
- Contributing to the development of study protocols, research tools and other relevant documents.
- Overseeing data entry, management and analysis.
- Initiating and contributing to scientific publications.
- Ensuring compliance with local and international clinical research regulatory guidelines.
- Coordinating and facilitating study monitoring and auditing visits, respond to any monitoring/audit findings and implement approved recommendations.
- Managing study resources (finances, personnel, equipment, facilities) in compliance with unit and sponsor accountability requirements.
- Training and developing capacity of junior staff.
- Participating in strategic planning for the programme.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery and a postgraduate qualification in Public Health, Epidemiology, or other related disciplines.
- At least five years’ experience in HIV epidemiological and clinical research.
- Good managerial and organizational skills.
- Literate and able to use Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- ICH-GCP and Human Subjects Protection training
- Experience in HIV care.
- Evidence of authoring peer reviewed articles.
- A good understanding of Luganda
How to Apply:
All applications and supporting documents including curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic qualifications and names plus telephone contact details of three referees should either be addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager,
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS,
Uganda Virus Research Institute,
P. O. Box 49, Entebbe. Uganda
Or sent via email: [email protected]
Deadline: 13th December, 2013.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.