Job Title: Senior Legal Manager
Umeme is a public company cross listed on both the Uganda Securities Exchange and the Nairobi Securities Exchange with over 6,483 shareholders, including high value international institutional investors. Umeme operates under a concession with a structural monopoly in the distribution of electricity across Uganda, distributing 99% of electricity in Uganda through a single buyer model.
Job Summary: The Senior Legal Manager will be guiding Management on regulatory legal issues and overseeing the management of regulatory legal risks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offering counsel and legal support to Management on engagements with regulators and coordinating communication to key stakeholders on legal and regulatory issues.
- Overseeing litigation relating to regulatory issues, overseeing and supporting the work of external legal firms in that regard and advising Management on litigation strategies.
- Advising management and providing support to staff of Umeme on implementation of regulatory requirements and obligations arising from laws, regulations and licensing agreements.
- Monitoring legal, legislative and regulatory developments that may affect Umeme and advising Management and the Board as appropriate.
- Working closely with the Head of Compliance and the Head of Internal Audit, overseeing regulatory and license compliance within Umeme including overseeing licensing applications.
- Offering legal support on tariff related matters and drafting relevant documentation and communication to the Electricity Regulatory Authority, with respect to tariff matters.
- Providing legal support to the Finance and Operations functions in ensuring implementation of regulatory directives and adherence to regulatory and license obligations.
- Providing advocacy to Umeme on legislative and regulatory matters.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold an honors Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B) obtained in a recognized university and be an advocate of the High Court of Uganda with proficiency in the use of Microsoft applications.
- The candidate should possess at least three years post-enrolment management experience in a law firm or a fast-paced corporate or regulatory environment and exposure to energy law or the electricity sub-sector.
How to Apply for the job:
If you believe you are the right candidate, please submit your application and updated CV clearly detailing your suitability for the position in terms of required qualifications and experience to email@example.com. Kindly state the position you are applying for in the subject line of your mail.
Deadline: 6th October, 2014 by 17:00 Hours