Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Organization: United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Grade Level: FS-5
Reports to: UNOPS Service Line Manager
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)’ mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
About DFS – UNSOA:
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs). The United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOA) is a field support operation led by the United NationsDepartment of Field Support (DFS) under UN security Council Resolution 1863 (2009) mandated to deliver a logistics capacity support package to AMISOM (African Union Mission in Somalia), as well as to provide operational support to other East African missions. The logistics package consists of equipment and mission support services, including ICT infrastructure, systems and softwareapplications in support of United Nations peacekeeping operations, DFS and DPI in the region. UNSOA is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with logistics operations facilitated through Mombasa, Kenya and Mogadishu, Somalia. In addition, as a member of the East African Missions and Region 2, UNSOA is a beneficiary of centralized ICT services provided by the Regional ICT Services (RICTS) office of the Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE). These services include ICT Technical & Signals Training, Applications Implementation, Autonomous ICT Communications, ICT Security & Compliance, and Physical ICT Security and Surveillance. As per GA A/67/723, there is no separate fundingassessment made for the RSCE. Each mission contributes a portion of its budget and personnel to enable the services of the RSCE. UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Recruitment and Placement:
· Actively participate in the selection of candidates; including conducting roster searches for applicants and identifying short-lists of candidates, evaluating and screening applications, generating personal history profiles of candidates, facilitating the interview process and acting as ex-officio.
· Render support in the filling of vacant posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic qualifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
· Offer input into policy development for HR policies for staff in the FieldService, General Service and related categories.
· Schedule and coordinate entry tests for locally-recruited staff.
· Manage and support the maintenance of vacancy announcement files, staffing tables and tracking of status of recruitment cases.
· Keenly review and process personnel actions through IMIS.
· Guide staff on visa matters.
2. Administration of Entitlements:
· Regularly review and process data pertaining to conditions of service.
· Review and process requests for a wide range of entitlements andexceptions to the Staff Rules and Regulations, e.g. travel entitlements, currency of payment of emoluments and rental subsidy.
· Actively monitor issues on conditions of service of staff and advise the supervisor of any developments.
· Advise staff on conditions of service and entitlements.
3. Staff Development and Career Support Training:
· Render support in the development and tracking of career development programmes in liaison with the mission training focal points, the DFS Career Development Unit and the Field Career Development Officers.
· Provide initial advice and answer general queries on career development issues in liaison with the DFS Career Development Unit and the FieldCareer Development Officers.
· Assist in the preparation of training material by providing input where appropriate
· Support the Field Career Development Officer in retrenchment exercises with regards to drawing down/ downsizing and expanding missions in identifying staff and positions concerned as well as relevant programmes.
· Manage the maintenance of automated databases and the centralized reference and filing systems by reviewing and approving entries by lower-level staff, ensuring that information is accurately and timely entered.
· Coordinate with Budget Section in preparation of the staffing component of mission’s annual budget.
· Carry out research on a range of Human Resources related issues and prepares notes/reports.
· Undertake research on precedents, policy rulings and procedures.
· Compile data from different sources and prepare statistical reports onHuman Resources related issues.
· Research background information and draft information circulars onHuman Resources related issues.
· Conduct exit briefings for separating staff and assist them in final arrangements.
· Provide general office support services; process, draft, edit, proofread and finalize for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; perform budget preparation, input, monitoring and implementation in information systems, sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines
· Prepare written responses to queries concerning Human Resourcesrelated matters.
· Distribute routine work to junior support staff, ensuring efficient and timely execution of the work.
· Mentor, train and provide supervision to lower-level staff in the unit.
· Assist in reviewing and monitoring of staffing related costs and expenditures in UMOJA in line with funds allotment, ensuring that funds for staffing costs are available, and where necessary alertsHuman Resources Officer to follow up with Finance and Budget Office to deploy funds to meet any shortfall;
· Ensures that expenditures related to staffing are within the budgeted staffing costs, coordinating with the Finance and Budget Units at both the mission and Headquarter levels to ensure availability of funds;
· Ensures that expenditures related to staffing are within the budgeted staffing costs, coordinating with the HRO and Finance and Budget Units to ensure availability of funds;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal job holder for the United Nations Human Resources Assistantshould hold a High school or equivalent diploma is required. Technical or vocational certificate in human resources, business administration or personnel administration is a requirement.
· At least eight years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management or other related fields.
· A minimum of two years of experience in the use of FSS and UMOJA is desirable.
· Prior experience in the United Nations or Agencies in the East African Region is desirable.
· Languages: English and French are the working languages of theUnited Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official United Nationslanguage is an advantage
· Professionalism: Substantive experience in, and thorough knowledge of, administrative functions (e.g., budget/ work programme,human resources, database management, etc). Extensive knowledge, regarding the application of financial, and staff regulations and rules. The skills and ability to analyze and interpret financial data. Ability to manage processes, maintain accurate records, interpret/analyse a wide variety of data, and identify/resolve data discrepancies and activity problems. Familiarity with all of the unit’s business operations and objectives. High degree of commitment to ensure the proper use of the unit’s financial resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all area of work.
· Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
· Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) as the Human Resources Assistant should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now. Click Here
Deadline: 5th November, 2015