Job Title: Press & Information Officer
The European Union (EU) is a unique economic and political partnership between 28 European countries that together cover much of the continent. The EU was created in the aftermath of the Second World War. The first steps were to foster economic cooperation: the idea being that countries who trade with one another become economically interdependent and so more likely to avoid conflict.
The result was the European Economic Community (EEC), created in 1958, and initially increasing economic cooperation between six countries: Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Since then, a huge single market has been created and continues to develop towards its full potential.
Job Summary: The Press & Information Officer will have the primary purpose of steering the visibility, awareness and profile of the European Union (EU) and of the Delegation to Uganda through press and information activities; deal with press, information and cultural matters and manage the information budget of the Delegation; advise and support the Delegation on communication matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Strategic Planning & Reporting:
- Acutely prepare the Delegation’s overall communication and visibility strategy and specific publicity plans.
- Prepare the annual communication and visibility plan along with the corresponding budget (press and information budget line).
- Monitor the effectiveness, output and impact of the delegation’s communication activities.
- Report regularly (includ ing quarterly and annual reports) on the Delegation’s communication activities and budget execution and forecasts.
2. Website and Publications:
- Keep the Delegation website updated based on a regular input from the various sections of the Delegation as wel l as material available from/in EU institutions.
- Prepare publications for the Delegation including the Delegation’s newsletter , brochure, etc.. This task will include coordination with Delegation staff members and EU funded projects and programmes providing articles, liaising with the printing company and updating a database for
- Organize lectures, conferences, training and other events targeting communication multipliers in Uganda.
- Deliver and/or organize training for staff from EU partners and the delegation on various communication related matters.
4. Public Affairs Events:
- Effectively plan and org anize EU public events such as public lectures by high -level visitors from the EU and cultural events, in coordination with EU Member State missions and relevant
- Ugandan organizations. This would include organisation and preparation of activities for
- Europe Day (9 May) and Europe-Uganda Village.
- Set up press conferences
5. Administrative Tasks:
- Organizing Call for Tenders (including in the preparation of the terms of reference) in order to select the designing/printing agencies for the various official publications.
6. Media monitoring and analysis:
- Monitor Ugandan Media, making a good selection of articles and media reports and contributing to the political, governance and trade analysis done by the section.
- Daily preparation of the Press Review for distribution to EU DEL, headquarters and EU Member State Embassies.
7. Media, Government and civil society relations:
- Establish and maintain contacts with the national and foreign media and civil society (including the business community) in order to promote EU awareness and visibility in Uganda and to inform about the activities of the Delegation.
- Prepare and distribute press releases, public statements and other material on EU affairs and the work of the Delegation for the media, based on available resources, e.g. information on EC programmes.
- Organize media events (press briefings, press conferences, press and TV interviews, information seminars etc.) on the occasion of major bilateral or regional political and economic events, but also, on an ad -hoc basis, for the Ambassador and Delegation when they have a message to pass.
- Offer technical support to the press publicity on the EU-supported development and economic cooperation programmes and projects. This could include arran ging media visits to EUsupported projects.
- Respond to information enquiries.
- Liaise with Government representatives and Representatives from Authorities in order to find information and receive information material about politics, institutions and civil society in
- Perform any other key realted tasks as stipulated by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Press & Information Officer should hold a relevant university degree, preferably a post graduate in mass communication, Social Sciences with postgraduate in journalism or a communication related subject
- At least five years’ of proven professional experience in the field of press, information and communication.
- Prior experience as Press & Information Officer would be an advantage.
- Excellent practical knowl edge about the Ugandan media landscape
- Excellent understanding of and knowledge of dissemination.
- Detailed understanding of the role of the EU and of the European Commission ‘s Delegation in the world
- Comprehensive understanding about the European Union, in particular its external policies.
- Proven ability to maintain a corporate website based on a CMS.
- Good working knowledge of PC usage and applications related to the field of press & information, MS office, internet etc
- Fluency in English. Knowledge French is an advantage.
- Communication skills: Capacity to communicate clearly, presenting complex matters in an understandable manner, both orally and in written form.
- Ability to develop contacts and to communicate confidently with colleagues and external contacts.
- Superior writing, editing and research skills .
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Good team work skills
- Possess the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to support in building cooperative working relationships with other sections , with EU Member States and with EU –funded projects and programmes
- Proven ability to work in a multicultural team
- Possess high sense of initiative
- Good fexibility
- Good organisational skills
- Excellent stress management skills
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates seeking to join the European Union Delgation in Uganda should send an application letter, a completed EU Standard Curriculum Vitae, download here, that must include three relevant referees, reference letter(s) of previous employment(s)and copies of education and training certificates addressed to:
Head of Delegation
Delegation to the Republic of Uganda
Crested Towers, 15th floor
Plot 17-23 Hannington Road
NB: Please clearly indicate: Application – Press and Information officer in the subject of the E-mail.
Deadline: 29th January, 2014 at 17.00 hours.