Job Title: Senior Business Writer
The Vision Group incorporated as the New Vision Printing & Publishing Company Limited (NVPPCL), started business in March 1986. It is a multimedia business housing newspaper, magazines, internet publishing, television, radio broadcasting, commercial printing, advertising and distribution services. NVPPCL is listed on the Uganda Stock Exchange, with an expected turnover of over UGX 60 billion (FY 2010/2011).
Job Summary: The incumbent will write compelling and enterprise business, finance and economic stories in an innovative and professional manner and to contribute to the strategic direction of the Business section so as to grow the newspaper and advance society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate and write compelling and enterprise business, economic and finance stories that grow the section and the newspaper as a whole
- Come up with innovative business ideas that translate into stories and advertising revenue
- Review relevant print and online newspapers of the day, both local and international, as well as online blogs and social media generally, to get untold stories for New Vision and its sister news platforms.
- Brief the editor on what important stories and ideas are in the pipeline
- Coach, train and mentor junior writers on the business desk and elsewhere in the newsroom to meet the New Vision standards as part of succession planning
- Conduct routine research to build accurate, balanced, multi-sourced, factual, informative and follow-up stories that are interesting, credible and relevant
- Write in-depth contextualized and agenda-setting analysis, investigations and exposes and track trends so that the newspaper becomes the first choice for decision-makers
- Undertake special projects to enrich the products and give them an angle beyond the obvious
- Submit ready-to-print stories in time, i.e., meet deadlines
- File copy online, on social media as well as on radio and TV as provided in the targets, that is, contribute copy to Vision Group multi-platforms in the spirit of integration
- Take pictures or alert the editor to provide a photographer to ensure relevant photos or graphics are available to strengthen copy
- Offer leadership, managerial and strategic support to the team and stand in for the editor whenever necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Senior Business Writer should possess a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University preferably in Mass Communication.
- At least three to five years’ experience in journalism.
- Firm grasp and understanding of national and regional issues and the ability to analyse socio-economic trends.
- The candidate should be highly self-motivated
- Possess the ability to interact seamlessly with people of different social standing.
- Proven ability to do business stories
- Ability to build a network of sources
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Have an excellent command of the English language and a compelling story-telling style.
How to Apply for the jobs:
All those reeling to work in Uganda’s leading media house, The New Vision, should send applications to: Chief Human Resources Officer, The New Vision Printing and Publishing Company Ltd. P.O. Box 9815, Kampala, Uganda or deliver to their front desk at the main reception.
Deadline: 15th August 2014