Job Title: Project Engineer (9 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: Ministry of Education and Sports
Duty Station: Uganda
The Ministry of Education and Sports (MES), is a cabinet-level ministry of Uganda. It is mandated “to provide technical support, guide, coordinate, regulate and promote quality education, training and sports to all persons in Uganda for national integration, development and individual advancement”, according to the website of the ministry.
The Government of Uganda has received credit from the World Bank towards implementation of the Uganda Secondary Education Expansion Project USEEP. The Project Development Objective is to enhance access to lower secondary education by focusing on underserved populations in targeted areas. Underserved populations include communities hosting refugees, refugees, girls and people in the targeted areas with limited access to public lower secondary schools.
Job Summary: Technically support the Ministry of Education and Sports through the established PCU in supervision of construction work across the country.
Key Result Areas within the area of jurisdiction:
- Timely completion of each of the key stages of construction in accordance to the technical requirements;
- Timely preparation and submission of monthly and quarterly reports produced;
- Timely reporting and escalation of noted challenges;
- Stakeholders updated on progress of works
- Compliance to Environmental and social safeguards by contractors.
- Well-kept/maintained MOES resources/property
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keeping electronic and hard copies of all documents pertaining to civil works under project including drawings, bills of quantities, site meeting minutes, reports, instructions issued to contractors, issues escalated from site.
- Confirming that the site for the school construction is free of encumbrances before handing it over to the Contractor.
- Technical supervision of the clerk of works to ensure diligent management of time, cost, quality and ES considerations during the construction;
- Monitoring of contractor’s performance in liaison with the Clerk of works to ensure the Contractors timely mobilize resources for the construction works including reviewing and clearance of procurement plans, method statements, construction methodology, construction schedules/programmes, clearance of materials delivered, review and confirmation that equipment is acceptable, ensure the contractor deploys all key staff and other staff as required by the contract, that the Contractor meets ES requirements as well as all other contractual obligations.
- Conducting regular on-site visits to the construction sites and resolve any technical challenges as may arise as reported by the Clerk of works and confirmed through the site inspection;
- Reviewing and providing approval of the Contractor’s interim certificate after confirming Contractor has met ES requirements
- Preparing detailed monthly and quarterly progress reports for submission to PC, DPC, CMU and World Bank, providing updates on physical and financial performance, ES performance, any challenges met and how they were addressed, emerging risks, issues for management’s attention, Grievance Redress, etc..
- Providing regular briefs on construction activities whenever required and in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Sports prepare Monthly Progress reports on the physical and financial status of various construction sites.
- Ensuring Contractors adhere to the Environmental and Social safeguard requirements and obligations – timely reporting of accidents on site.
- Engage stakeholders at different levels of Local government to ensure ownership of the ongoing works by inviting a representative at District, subcounty level for the monthly site meeting;
- Participate in Project Coordination Unit meeting with Stakeholders at district level to communicate roles and responsibilities, encourage community monitoring of works, and enhance ownership and co-operation in the implementation of sub projects
- Liaise with Project Coordinator to escalate persistent challenges to MOES management’s attention including those that relate to the jurisdiction of other MDAs e.g. NEMA, DLG, MOLG etc.
- Managing and addressing the contract risks (including those related to the contractor and its personnel’s impact on the community and environment)
- Communicating with end users, stakeholders and service providers including:
- Reviewing and recommending or deferring approvals of deliverables, payments, contract extensions, amendments and variations
- Managing contract closure and evaluation of service providers
- Ensure contract enforcement and compliance with relevant laws and regulations including, but not limited to, core labour standards, environmental, child, and health and safety protections.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Applicants should possess an Honours Bachelors of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture attained from a recognized university or institution, shall be a member of a Professional Body of Engineers or Architects and will possess a Post Graduate Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or Project Management from a recognized institution.
- It is a pre-requisite that the candidate has at least 8 years of professional experience including working knowledge of the disciplines involved for similar assignments in planning, design and construction supervision of building works
- Proven technical competence in construction supervision or contractor site management;
- The candidate shall demonstrate qualities of an excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven strong skills project management.
- The candidate shall be fluent in the English language. Ability to speak at least one local language in Uganda.
- Proven integrity and confidentiality in handling public resources and in executing duties confirmed by letters from referees.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- High level of computer literacy with proven working knowledge of Microsoft office.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Individuals should submit sealed applications accompanied with certified Copies of their academic documents and detailed Resume giving full details of the applicants’ education, qualifications, experience, three referees with their full address, e-mail and telephone contacts as well as the candidate’s full address, telephone number and e-mail to the address below;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Education and Sports; and delivered to
Ministry Registry, Plot 9/11 King George VI Way,
Embassy House, 4th Floor, Room 1,
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 22nd August 2022 at 5:00pm