Job Title: Senior Research Assistant, Policy Research
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks sustainable solutions for ending hunger and poverty. Founded in 1975, IFPRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership for a food secure future. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
HarvestPlus leads a global effort to improve nutrition and public health by developing and disseminating staple food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals. HarvestPlus works with public and private sector partners in more than 40 countries. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The HarvestPlus program is coordinated by two of these centers, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Job Summary: The Senior Research Assistant, Policy Research will mainly carry out statistical and econometric analysis for addressing policy research questions. The incumbent will be based at the IFPRI Kampala Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out all statistical and econometric analysis of data such as household food expenditure and food price data from different countries, food production, demand and trade data at national and global level
- Identify and compile data from global data bases of international organizations such as FAOSTAT and regional/global sector models related to food, agriculture and nutrition
- Compile and submit technical reports on results of data analysis’
- Significantly contribute to scientific presentations, graphs, tables, background papers, discussion papers and papers submitted for review in academic journals
- Assist with the implementation of training activities and workshops/ seminars of the Policy Research Unit of HarvestPlus
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, agricultural economics, statistics or related fields
- At least one year postgraduate experience in quantitative data analysis, preferably related to data from food and agricultural trade, agricultural and food value chains, and/or rural household surveys focusing on agricultural income, food expenditure and human nutrition
- Strong English writing skills and mathematical/analytical skills
- Good working knowledge of and documented work experience with spreadsheet software such as MS Excel or MS Access
- Excellent working knowledge in statistical software such as SPSS or STATA
- Proven ability to process multiple tasks and produce completed products on time
- Computer literacy skills i.e. Proficiency in word processing and presentation software.
- Highly self-motivated, innovative spirit and excellent interpersonal and team skills and the ability to work with colleagues from diverse cultures
- Other preferred qualifications include knowledge of spatial analysis software such as ArcView, some prior experience as author or coauthor of research reports and publications in academic journals
How to apply for the job:
If you are passionate about humanities and desire to join The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) HarvestPlus Program in the aforementioned capacity, please send an application letter, an updated curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three professional references (including telephone and e-mail address), should be sent to the Head, Policy Research Unit: (ifpri-Kampala@cgiar.org)
Deadline: 7th August, 2014