Going to university might be the most mesmerizing venture for a high school leaver. However, finding the best University to suit your academic desires may be a hustle especially in Uganda.
Some Universities in Uganda lack a validated operational license from the National Council of Higher Education and also operate below the minimum standards.
The UniRank 2019 Ugandan University Ranking
This could be hard to be determined by any average Uganda Parent or student.
To make this easy, thecampustimes.com websites has compiled a list of the 10 best Universities in Uganda basing on;
- The latest University rankings around the globe.
- The University should be chartered, licensed and accredited by the National Council of Higher Education
- It should be offering at least four –year undergraduate degrees(bachelor degrees) or postgraduate degrees( master or doctoral degrees)
- Holding normal lectures in a well-structured classroom. i.e should not only dwell on online course.
- Makerere University
Established in 1922 as a humble technical school, Makerere University,short formed MAK is one of the oldest and most prestigious Universities in Africa. It is a public University. Among others, Makerere boasts of a number of researches, partnerships(local and international), better learning facilities and environment and staff. The University has, over the years, positioned itself as the best University in East Africa and the 4th-6th in Africa. The main campus is strategically located in Kampala, central Region which makes her more accessible with many affiliated institutions distributed across Uganda. However, the recent webometrics University rankings 2019 pushed the University in the 11th position in Africa. For more information and courses at Makerere click here
- Mbarara University of science and Technology.
commonly known as Mbarara University and short form MUST, is a public university in Uganda. Mbarara University was opened to students on and instruction in 1989. It is one of the eight public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country. MUST is accredited by the Uganda National Council for Higher Education. It is located in western Uganda, Mbarara district and only teaches science-based courses. It is ranked 2034 in the whole world. Click to see Courses offered
- Kyambogo University Kyambogo University(KYU) was established in 2003 by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001 by merging Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK), the Institute of Teacher Education, Kyambogo (ITEK), and the Uganda National Institute of Special Education (UNISE). Kyambogo University (KYU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees. It is located in Kampala, Banda. Course offered
- Gulu University
In October 2002 the University opened at the District Farm Institute located on Awich Street in Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality. The University opened with the Faculty of Science Education and Institute Human Resource Development he University was named Gulu University of Agriculture and Environmental Science and was to specialize in agricultural mechanization. However, it was later proposed that the University should widen its scope beyond agricultural mechanization and produce high level human resource that can effectively participate in solving the social and economic problems of the country. It was then renamed Gulu University.
From 2002 the University steadily increased its intake, faculties and programmes due to the demand to satisfy practical needs regionally, nationally, and internationally. With over 6 faculties and two institutes, the university is one of the prestigious public Universities in Uganda. Courses offered
- Kampala International University Kampala International University, commonly known by its short form KIU, has been consistently ranked among Uganda’s top universities with high quality education and a diverse culture.KIU has the largest teaching and referral hospital university together which offers a variety of courses in health science.We have a wide offering of certificate, diploma, bachelors’ and masters programmes suitable for you at any point in your career. Courses offered
- Uganda Martyrs University Uganda Martyrs University (UMU) is a private university affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church in Uganda. It is licensed by the Uganda National Council for Higher Education. UMU consists of seven faculties, one institute, four centers, five departments, and two schools.
- Islamic University in Uganda The Islamic University (IUIU) in Uganda started in 1988 by the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) under a bilateral agreement between the Government of Uganda (GOU) and the OIC. The University offers 72 programmes in 7 Faculties and has a student population of 8,638 coming from 21 different countries. The University has so far graduated 25,000 students from various disciplines and has a centre for Postgraduate Studies and four campuses including the main Campus in Mbale. The University employs over 600 fulltime members of staff from 8 countries, and about 300 on part time basis. Courses offered
- Uganda Christian University Uganda Christian University (UCU) is an authentic Christian institution established by the Church of Uganda in 1997 in response to a call for quality university education with a Christian perspective.
Uganda Christian University replaced the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College which trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. In 2004, UCU became the first private university to be chartered or accredited by the government of Uganda.Courses offered
- Busitema University Busitema University is a multi campus model public University located in the eastern region of Uganda. The main campus is at Busitema and other campuses at Nagongera, Namasagali, Arapai, Mbale, Pallisa and Kaliro. Established by Statutory Instrument in 2007, the University focuses on relevant and critical study programs in Engineering, Science Education, Health Sciences, Natural Resources.Courses offered and Environmental Sciences, Agriculture and Animal Sciences, Management Sciences and Vocational Education.
- Makerere University Business School. Makerere University Business School (MUBS) is another affiliate of Makerere University. It is the center for business studies. MUBS provides business and management education at the certificate, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Courses offered