Job Title:Technical Advisor
Organization:United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station:Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connectscountries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developingcountries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
As a GEF Implementing Agency, UNDP-GEF further offers countries highly specialized technical services for programme/project formulation, due diligence, mobilization of required co-financing, project implementation oversight, results management and evaluation, performance-based payments and knowledge management. UNDP-GEF’s Green, Low-emission, Climate-resilient Development Strategies team works to support countries to attract and direct public and private investment towards catalyzing and supportingsustainable economic growth through initiatives focused on integrated Climate Change Strategies, Advancing Cross-sectoral Climate Resilient Livelihoods and Strengthening Climate Information and addressing barriers to Climate Resilient Development. Given that energy production and utilization is a significant contributor to green gas emissions, efficient methods of production and utilization of energy ought to be adopted. Charcoal is the preferred cooking energy in Uganda particularly by urban consumers and is considered a relatively modern fuel rather than a traditional one. Uganda’s charcoal sub-sector remains plagued by inefficient production practices, lack of sustainable supplies of woody biomass and inadequate, and sometimes conflicting policy statements. At the current rate of consumption, the pressure on biomass resources will increase even further as communities produce more charcoal to meet their livelihood demands and urban charcoal consumer demand.
About GEF-STAR 5 Project:
The GEF-STAR 5 is supporting a full-size project that will address key barriers to Sustainable Charcoal Production. This project aims at “Improved charcoal production technologies and sustainable land management practices through an integrated approach in Uganda.”, with an overall objective of securing multiple environmental benefits by addressing the twin challenges of unsustainable utilization of fuel wood (including charcoal) and poor land management practices common in Uganda’s woodland through technology transfer, enhancement of the national policy framework and the promotion of Sustainable Land Management (SLM) and Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) practices. The project will contribute to realisation of Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All) objectives in Uganda by 2030: Ensuring universal access to modern energy services, doubling the rate of improvement in energy efficiency; and Doubling the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.
Job Summary: As part of project implementation, a Technical Advisor is being sought to support activities and deliver the objectives, outcomes and outputs of the project. The Technical Advisor shall support the Sustainable Charcoal Production Project implemented by Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Steer the development of project design including preparation of consultants ‘and sub-contractors’ terms of reference. Identification and selection of national and international sub-contractors/consultants, cost estimation, time scheduling, contracting and reporting on project activities according to the Project Document and project log frame
- Prepare the project monitoring and evaluation plan and the sustainability plan
- Offer strategic guidance to ensure the project’s progress towards the attainment of targeted outcomes and objectives
- Ensure that the GEF funded project implementation strategies and outputs contribute to securing global environmental benefits at all levels
- Guide the preparation of the Project Inception Report
- Offer technical support to charcoal related policy discussions and development at national level
- Actively coordinate activities of consultants including review of technical outputs/reports, and measurement/assessment of project achievements.
- Technically support the completion of evaluation reports (midterm, terminal etc.) to MEMD and UNDP/GEF, including elaboration of management responses
- Take lead in preparing the Annual Project Review/ Project Implementation Report (APR/PIR) to GEF
- Provide sound technical advice to the PMU and MEMD as the basis for implementing project components
- The TA will make a search on similar initiatives in the region and globally, and ensure that any emerging lessons are documented and best practices shared to inform the national Sustainable land management agenda.
- Prepare technical publications on Sustainable Land Management and Sustainable Charcoal production in line with expected project outcomes/outputs.
- Technically support government to integrate outputs of the Sustainable Land Management projects into the overall national strategy on sustainable charcoal production and marketing value chain
- Take lead in undertaking studies highlighted in the project document, in line with UNDP policies and procedures.
- Provide technical inputs into the review and updating of the Project Annual work plans and budgets to reflect the current implementation realities and the theory of change
- Ensure that the Uganda Sustainable Energy for All (USE4All) objectives are integrated in the broader objectives of the Energy sector strategies.
- Support technical aspects of the work by agencies involved in managing specific components of the project and provide technicalsupport to the USE4ALL Secretariat
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidates for the United Nations UNDP Technical Advisor opportunity should hold a Master’s Degree in Biomass or Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency technologies, or Natural Resource Management or Environmental studies. Possession of a PhD shall be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of carbon financing mechanisms and improved charcoaling regulations and technologies, sustainable Forest management is added value
- Knowledge of innovative ways of increasing access to modern energy as well as energy efficiency and renewable energy in all sectors of the economy is also added value
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency technologies or climate change mitigation sector and working knowledge of the Ugandan energy sector with extensive contact in the public and private sectors and civil society organizations;
- Previous experience with Charcoaling technologies and National Policy on Renewable Energy is advantageous;
- Strategic planning and results-oriented management profile with strong reporting and financial management skills;
- Good knowledge and understanding of climate change mitigation strategies and emission reduction benefits accruing from low-carbon energy activities;
- Practical experience with UNDP-GEF supported projects is an added advantage
Language and IT Skills: Excellent written and fluent spoken English
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Promotes innovation and knowledge management in the project and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
- Actively works towards innovative development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of the project
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific project context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Ability to manage for results: translates strategic aims into achievable plans, with established priorities, monitors them, making periodic adjustments as required.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates outstanding communication skills oral and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills: capacity to work with diverse partners including Government, donors and civil society;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 27th January 2015