The awards aim to encourage science, innovation, and technology in rural industries and help to advance the careers of young scientists, researchers and innovators through national recognition of their research ideas.
Clarity of Information
Outstanding educational program for Australian citizens.
The program is coordinated by the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), within the Australian Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
- Application Deadline: 2 October 2020
- Course Level: Awards are provided to undertake a project on an innovative or emerging scientific issue, including biophysical and social sciences.
- Study Subject: Awards are provided in agriculture, fisheries or forestry-related industries.
- Award: The following awards will be offered in 2021:
- Industry category Science Awards
There is one Science Award grant available in each industry category and the maximum grant amount is $22,000 inc GST. Applicants can apply in more than one category but only one award per applicant will be made. The relevant judging panels will be advised if an applicant has applied for more than one category.
Each industry category Science Award is sponsored by a research and development corporation or industry association.
The 2021 categories and sponsors are:
Category Award sponsor Established, new and emerging rural industries AgriFutures Australia Eggs and poultry (layers) Australian Eggs Red meat processing Australian Meat Processor Corporation Pork Australian Pork Ltd Wool Australian Wool Innovation Cotton Cotton Research and Development Corporation Health and biosecurity CSIRO Health and Biosecurity Dairy Dairy Australia Fisheries and aquaculture Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Forest and wood products Forest & Wood Products Australia Grains Grains Research and Development Corporation Meat and livestock Meat & Livestock Australia Viticulture and oenology Wine Australia
Successful applicants will be expected to complete their project within 12 months of the grant agreement being executed.
- Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources’ Award
One individual industry category Science Award recipient will also receive the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources Award, with additional funding to undertake an extended research project.
Only Science Award winners in each industry category are eligible for this Award. If you are successful you will be invited to apply for the Minister’s Award. A separate application form will be provided with additional time to complete it. Note that you are not obliged to apply for the Minister’s Award. The successful applicant will be expected to complete their extended research project within the same 12 month period.
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: Australian citizens
- The award can be taken in Australia
- Eligible Countries: Australian citizens can apply for these awards.
- Entrance Requirements: Applications are open to young people between 18 and 35 years of age, who are working, employed or studying in agriculture, fisheries or forestry-related industries. To be eligible, applicants must:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- be Australian citizens or permanent residents (proof required) by the closing date.
- be working, employed or studying in agriculture, fisheries or forestry related industry (including food and sustainable natural resource management). Proof such as a letter of employment, scholarship or payslip may be requested.
- not be employed by a sponsoring organization in the award category they are applying for, and not have an immediate family member (eg a sibling or parent) who is employed by a sponsoring organization in their selected award category.
- Employees of entities that are classified as Corporate Commonwealth entities are eligible for the Awards.
- Employees of entities classified as Non-Corporate Commonwealth entities are ineligible for the Awards.
- Corporate Commonwealth entities are legally separate from the Commonwealth, whereas non-Corporate Commonwealth entities are part of the Commonwealth (see PGPA Act, Section 11).
- For advice on the entities and how your employer is classified, visit the Department of Finance website.
How to Apply: Applicants can download the application form from www.grants.gov.au and search for GO1592, or by contacting the Science Awards team.
Applicants should ensure that all parts of the application form are completed and signed prior to lodgement.
Applications must be submitted to Science Awards AND
- be submitted using the 2021 application form
- be submitted in Microsoft Word or .pdf formats only.
Illegible, faxed or late applications will not be accepted. Failures in email and IT systems are not considered grounds for accepting late applications.
Failure to meet all requirements and provide all information requested will result in an application not being considered.