Job Title: Finance & Grants Assistant
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
About USAID Project:
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Full responsibility (managing and tracking) over the office petty cash fund;
· Scan and file all accounting documentation on a monthly basis per EDC file retention policies;
· Contact person for all finance – vendor/payee relations outside and inside of the office ensuring payments are received, missing documents retrieved, missing signatures obtained and any other matters arising allowing for complete and correct supporting documentation;
· Follow up with staff on all outstanding advances that are past due;
· Ensure all finance files are organized, complete and up to date at all times;
· USAID VAT reporting:
· Obtain original VAT invoices with schedule from the Finance Officer;
· Prepare VAT invoices and report for submission to USAID;
· Ensure that original VAT invoices are returned to EDC;
· Support the Grants Manager in the reporting process — collate initial full report drafts;
· Support Grants Manager in keeping an accurate and up-to-date Grants/Proposals Filing system on the Shared Drive, and in hard copy folders in order to ensure documents are easily accessible for the day-to-day work of the Grants team and for internal and external audit purposes;
· Assist Grants Manager in preparing of Project Opening, Implementation and Closing meetings, as well as monthly/regular grants management meetings (Budget Volume Analysis meetings) which include representation from each unit (finance, programs, logistics) and ensure proper follow up of issues raised;
· Support in collating, printing and acquiring signatures for quarterly and annual reports, file both in soft copy and hard copies of all reports;
· Create and update regularly electronic and hard copy files related to assigned proposals and grants;
· Keep an updated inventory of all communications related to programs/donors and ensure communication and visibility requirements are met;
· Take meeting minutes and draft lessons learned and other communications pieces, as assigned.
· Disseminate weekly and monthly trackers (Grants tracker, BVA Burn rate, etc.);
· Other duties consistent with the role of a Finance & Grants Assistant as assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Education Development Center (EDC) Finance & Grants Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary education, vocational training and 3-4 years of experience in Finance, Accounting, Business Computing, Business Administration or any related field is required. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in a relevant field preferred.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in a similar position;
· Previous experience working on USAID-funded projects is required;
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
· Knowledge of basic accounting principles and ethics.
· Excellent Word and Excel skills.
· Effective oral and written communication skills in English
· Language: Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 26th March 2021