Job Title: Operations Officer
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services.
Job Summary: The Operations Officer is responsible for coordinating the timely and necessary administrative and operational support in implementation of technical activities, ensuring those are in compliance with MSH and USAID standards. The primary function of this position will be to support the different stages of project closeout and the implementation of the close out process and related activities. Maintaining/updating the inventory register and ensuring all property is rightly recorded, in the right place ready for disposal. . S/he provides supervision to the facilities staff (Administrative Assistant and the Office Assistant) and oversees the provision of all logistical support required for office running, meetings/workshops, accommodation and STTA logistical support. S/he ensures that MSH offices and facilities are safe, and that the working environment is appropriate for all staff. S/he ensures the provision of high-quality, responsive, timely and cost effective services within the framework of local laws, MSH policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements This position is short term with contract end date being June 30, 2020
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Assets Management (60%)
- Working with supervisor to support the project close out related activities.
- Support assets verification process of all items at MSH and MoH
- Assets management maintaining and updating the asset register ensuring new items details are recorded, tagged and updating the register with movement of the respective items.
- Support the transfer of ownership of motorcycles and motor vehicles form MSH/USAID to the respective beneficiaries (IPs & Government of Uganda)
- Follow up the filing of insurance claims until settlement, working with Insurance brokers /companies
- Preparing equipment transfer files and ensuring completeness with fully signed agreements and documents of transfer using available templates.
- Maintain a complete record of UHSC assets and inventory, and ensure the property is maintained in accordance with MSH and donor regulations. Organize the UHSC inventory annual and spot verification and control.
- Support the different stages of project closeout and the implementation of the close out process
- Participate in evaluation, negotiation and selection of providers of services according to organization needs.
General Operations (30%)
- Provide timely, cost effective, and high quality support and service to the UHSC project activities
- Provide supervision to all facilities staff and is accountable for their performance management (including regular results, check-ins, formal appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support)
- Coordinate workshop or meeting related events such as accommodation and transportation for participants, facilities, catering, printing, stationery and other special needs requirements.
- Arranging and planning of internal events and conferences (holiday parties, team building events, etc.) ensuring that venues are secured in a timely manner.
- Arrange for and book staff/STTA for accommodation both in-country and outside of Uganda ensuring that room rates are within approved limits.
- Take custody and arrange the availability of audio-visual equipment, displays and other meeting needs
- Check in on happening events to monitor arrangements and ensures smooth functioning of all activities while liaising with venue personnel and suppliers of contracted services to solve problems that arise during events.
- Coordinate the selection of venues with all the necessary logistical support including Public Address System, venue arrangement, projectors, screens, etc.
- Monitors operation of services according to agreements/contracts and ensure all services claims/bills are settled within allowable time or make follow ups to clear snags.
- Review event bills for accuracy, discuss adjustments to invoices before submission for payment.
- Ensures proper maintenance of the logistics procurement filing system.
- Handle the procurement for goods and services in line with local laws and regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements.
- Ensure the office has adequate stock of consumables and office supplies, etc
- Ensure actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in policy guidelines.
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all MSH Standard Operating Procedures, and provide guidance to staff whenever necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Degree in Administration or equivalent with 4-6 years relevant experience.
- Strong administrative, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail, quality and remaining calm under pressure.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and learn complex procedures.
- Demonstrated experience with managing an office and ability to work as an effective team player
- Knowledge of donor regulations preferred.
- Computer skills in word processing, database, presentation, and spreadsheet applications; Microsoft Office preferred, along with ability to learn new software packages.
- Good supervisory and conflict resolution skills.
- Fluency in English.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity at the link below.