Job Title: Pre-Service Development Officers (Several Jobs)
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Jinja, Uganda
*This is position is located in the following PTCs (one Officer per PTC): Kabale-Bukinda, Bishop Stuart, Bulera, Nakaseke, Ndegeya, Shimoni, St. Noa Mawaggali, and Kabulasoke. Preference will be given to locals based in the respective location.
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
About USAID ICYD Project:
EDC is implementing the USAID ICYD Project. The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives.
Job Summary: The Pre-Service Development Officers, based in Core Primary Teacher Colleges (CPTCs), will support PTC capacity assessment; preservice faculty development in early grade reading (EGR) and school-related gender-based violence prevention (SRGBV); Core and non-core PTC coordination to extend faculty development and practicum experiences; action research coordination with demonstration schools; and integration of pre- and in-service support to teachers in EGR and SRGBV. This position will liaise with Core PTC and TIET/UNITE counterparts, Kyambogo University personnel, ICYD Early Grade Reading Officers, and ICYD expert TA from Arizona State University (ASU), as appropriate; and report to the Pre-Service Advisor. This is a full-time position located at one of the Core PTCs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the oversight of the Senior Technical Advisor for Education and Pre-Service Advisor:
- Support Core PTCs to implement assessments of Core PTC capacity to prepare teachers in EGR and SRGBV and develop plans for improving Core PTC capacity in those areas;
- Work with ICYD STTA from ASU to implement faculty development programming in EGR and SRGBV at Core PTCs;
- Work with ASU STTA and other members of the Education team and MoES/TIET/UNITE/Kyambogo counterparts to ensure the alignment of EGR and SRGBV pre- and in-service training and professional development systems at the zonal level, including Grade 3 Primary Teacher Certificate programming, new Diploma in Primary Education (Inservice) and Bachelor of Primary Education (Preservice) degrees;
- In collaboration with UNITE and TIET, the Core PTCs, and technical specialists, support the field testing and revision of EGR and SRGBV pre-service curriculum and materials and provide training on use of the materials;
- In collaboration with UNITE and TIET, work with ASU STTA and other members of the Education team to support the field testing of new practical experiences in EGR and SRGBV for pre-service teachers in the ICYD Core PTCs;
- Work closely with Core PTCs to create action research networks and guide coaching of PTC faculty in EGR and SRGBV through action research in demonstration schools;
- As required under the new UNITE degree programs, support the use of distance education modalities for training and support of Core PTC faculty and students;
- Participate in relevant training and professional development opportunities provided by the USAID ICYD Activity;
- Assist the ICYD M&E team in collecting and contextualizing results of relevant evaluations and operational research, synthesizing the results for internal and external audiences, and integrating the feedback into program planning and curriculum design;
- Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of project goals.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID Project job must hold a Bachelor’s degree with 5 to 6 years of experience in early grade reading, SRGBV, or another pedagogically-oriented specialty.
- A minimum of 5 to 6 years of progressively responsible technical experience in early-grade reading and SRGBV teacher training or pre-service programs in both English and Local Language;
- Previous experience in the development of curriculum, materials, and/or training for early grade reading and SRGBV preferred;
- Knowledge of key skills needed for teaching foundational literacy and of recent research on most effective teaching practices in early grade reading and SRGBV;
- Experience working with Primary Teacher Colleges (PTCs) in Uganda required;
- Experience training team members and counterparts using best practices in adult education;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Knowledge of IT systems and ability to support implementation of distance education modalities for training and support
- Knowledge of/experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Language: Fluency in English is required. A Ugandan local language in the location of the position (Luganda, Runyankore-Rukiga, or Runyoro-Rutooro) is strongly preferred.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 15th August 2021