Job Title: Programme Management Officer
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 20-Programme Management-RSCE-141964-R-Entebbe (M)
Reports to: Chief of Client Service Delivery
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE), was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location-dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support. In addition to these services, the Office of the Chief RSCE and support offices through the Deputy Chief RSCE provides overall guidance on the operations of the RSCE including strategic planning, communication, budgeting, human resources management, property management, quality assurance and business intelligence, conference services, record keeping and archive management, and audit response and risk management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of assigned programme/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes and takes corrective actions; reviews the work of subordinate staff, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops, or through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, advocates and promotes the work of the RSCE etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Programme Management Officer job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first level university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required
- Experience in a shared service center in an international organization is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English, both oral and written is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications through the United Nations online portal at the link below.
Deadline: 21st November 2020