Job Title: Project Officer – Health & Nutrition HANA Project (3 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: World Vision International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator – HANA Project
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Project Officer – Health & Nutrition HANA Project will work closely with the health sector in the district and the community health workers to implement maternal child adolescent health, nutrition and WASH interventions both at community health facility and district levels. The incumbent will support the capacity building exercise for health workers. Support translation, printing and dissemination of Information and Education Communication materials on maternal child, adolescent health, nutrition and hygiene practices. Support communities to attain and sustain open defecation free (ODF) status and engage and supervise community structures to ensure interventions are routinely implemented.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Training & capacity building
- Provide trainings/orientation/technical inputs to staff, health workers, community structure members on nutrition and maternal child health monitoring and promotion at community level.
- Capacity building of stakeholders, partners and staff in health, nutrition and hygiene knowledge and skills such as; different health, nutrition and WASH models.
- Support the SBCC activities intended for nutrition, maternal child health and hygiene behavioral change.
- Build the capacity of the community groups to adopt and replicated maternal child adolescent health, nutrition and hygiene practices
- Conduct follow up trainings to pregnant and lactating mothers on balanced diet, food preparation and handling
- Coordinates with the technical staff coming from across Sectors for planning and implementations of the nutrition components within the programme.
- Work with the gender officer to build capacity of stakeholders and partners in genders and disability inclusion in maternal child adolescent health, nutrition and WASH interventions
- Implementation of maternal child adolescent health, nutrition and WASH interventions
- Facilitate implementation of planned project interventions and models such as timed targeted counseling, positive deviance hearth, care groups, integrated health outreaches, community led total sanitation, infection prevention control etc
- Ensure appropriate identification and referral/linkage of patients to care both at community and health facility level.
- Engage relevant stakeholders and partners and lead in implementation of health and WASH interventions in target communities for attainment of standards like ODF communities.
- Work with community leaders to map out the local staple food and sensitize the community on utilization such alternatives while upholding the nutritional composition (balanced diet)
- Working closely with the district and community representatives to map out the target groups and beneficiaries
- Work closely with the Community structure members to ensure adherence to nutrition and hygiene practices: waste disposal, dry rack, compost pits, hand washing equipment
- Support in development of key nutrition and hygiene messages for dissemination during sensitization campaigns
- Ensure appropriate management, referral and linkage to care of the malnourished identified during growth monitoring and promotion
Accounting and reporting
- Ensure all the planned activities are executed and reported on time
- Conduct monitoring visits to community groups and programme beneficiaries and compile monitoring reports for onward consolidation
- Consolidate, compile and submit quality reports to Project Coordinator as directed.
- Ensure that all reports are highly accurate, comprehensive, well documented and will guarantee the credibility of the program.
- Ensure monthly progress report is completed and submitted for onward compilation
- Lead documentation of project interventions
Networking & external engagements
- Actively engage the district local government, the regional referral hospital and the ministry of health to ensure that the all activities have been implemented.
- Support developing and dissemination of Information and Education Communication materials.
- Supervision to community groups, partners and structures to ensure interventions are routinely implemented
- Coordination with partners for common messaging and promotion of nutrition sensitive programming.
- Network with other partners and stakeholders to ensure appropriate linkage for support within the district and at the regional level where necessary
- Coordination and networking with stakeholders and partners in the district and region to support implementation of the interventions
- Other duties as maybe assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the World Vision International Project Officer – Health & Nutrition HANA Project job should hold a Bachelor’s degree in health-related studies such as nursing, environmental health sciences, food science and technology, clinical medicine, nutrition studies from a recognized higher institution of learning.
- At least three years’ experience in community health programming & management, and survey and assessments.
- One to two years’ experience in implementation of community health and WASH models/approaches such as CLTS, CHAST and PHAST is an added advantage
- Willing to work under hardship, in remote setting with limited resources.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in the English language and knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
- Must have experience in engaging district leadership
- Experience in capacity building of stakeholders and partners
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliability and dependable
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Networking and influencing skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to ride a motorcycle and with a valid riding permit is a MUST
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to submit your application and complete Curriculum Vitae by applying online through visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Deadline: 11th August 2021