Job Title: Senior Protection Officer
Organisation: International Rescue Committee
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Protection Programme Manager
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
Job Summary:The Senior Protection Officer will work alongside the Protection Manager to guide and oversee the day-to-day program implementation in the field. The Senior Protection Officer supports on all aspects of general protection programming and ensures that appropriate responses are provided, including referrals primarily through weekly drop in platform for clients in the settlement and other safe spaces in the communities of operation. The Senior Protection Officer is responsible for effective internal coordination within the organization between Protection and the Legal Officers, Women Protection and Empowerment, Economic Recovery and Development and M&E teams. As guided by the Protection Manager, he/she will engage in external representation and coordination with other relevant actors (among which UNHCR, government counterparts, and other national and international NGOs), as well as participating in coordination forums. The Senior Protection Officer will be responsible for planning and implementing a Community based Protection (CBP) program which includes community engagement, outreach initiatives, information dissemination and capacity building with the support of the Protection Manager. This will include capacity building and day-to-day supervision and support to Protection and Legal Officers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and ensure timely implementation of work plans and procurement plans for all protection and Rule of law activities.
- Effectively manage all budget items under his/her responsibility to ensure spending is timely and in accordance with donor requirements.
- Prepare weekly and monthly project progress reports for submission to Protection Manager.
- Work closely with Senior Protection Programme Manager to develop appropriate training materials, guidance and procedures for Protection and Legal Officers.
- Maintain clear records and data on all aspects of implementation relating to Protection and Legal Case Management support to beneficiaries.
Staff Management & Technical Guidance
- Provide direct supervision to Protection and Legal Officers.
- Provide technical guidance to ensure staff adherence to best practices in the approach and response to protection issues/concerns.
- Clearly define training needs of direct reports and ensure they are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit, oversight and guidance to staff enabling successful performance of duties.
- Provide leadership support for successful implementation of and adherence to IRC Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Lead with commitment, integrity and accountability to the ‘IRC Way’- Global Standards for Professional Conduct.
Representation, coordination and advocacy
- Build and maintain relationships with others including INGOs, National NGOs, and OPM, UNHCR and community stakeholders.
- Work closely with IRC’s Legal Assistance, Women Protection and Empowerment, and Health Teams.
- Attend Coordination meetings and occasionally represent PRoL in advocacy sessions as guided by the Senior Protection Programme Manager.
- All other duties as assigned compatibility with key competencies required for this role.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the International Rescue Committee Senior Protection Officer job should hold a Degree in a relevant fields such as; Sociology, Social Work, Law, Education and Humanities is essential.
- At least three (3) years of prior professional experience in protection programming and working with vulnerable individuals or communities.
- Experience in managing Protection concerns with vulnerable individuals.
- Experience implementing protection interventions, including protection monitoring, information and counselling, protection incident case management and support to Persons with Specific Needs.
- Experience working with other partners and functions e.g. Partner Coordinators, UNHCR and INGOs.
- Good background in Protection, knowledge of Urban refugee context, as well as demonstrable ability in the identification, referral and support of vulnerable cases.
- Experience managing and working with a diverse team.
- Experience writing reports, developing work plans.
- Strong management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Excellent ability to interpret, analyze and synthesize information in a fast‐paced environment.
- Good knowledge of general protection principles, strategies and interventions.
- Excellent organizational skills, timeliness, ability to determine priorities and great attention to detail.
- Proactive, flexible, team spirited and willing to learn.
- Good computer skills including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 2nd June 2021