Job Title: Senior Social Affairs Officer
Organisation: Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) is a statutory body established under Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013, and in line with the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda which was approved in 2008. The mandate of the Petroleum Authority of Uganda is to monitor and regulate the exploration, development, and production, together with the refining, gas conversion, transportation, and storage of petroleum in Uganda. This includes ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international best practices for the petroleum industry.
Job Summary: The Senior Social Affairs Officer will report to the Manager in charge of Environment and will be responsible for planning, implementation, and monitoring of social aspects under PAU’s mandate in the oil and gas sector. He / She will drive a culture for continued development and improvement in best industry societal practices.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise on interventions to mitigate social risks and impacts that are required to be integrated into policies, plans and programs for the oil and gas sector;
- Plan for and ensure undertaking of baseline studies to establish relevant social and economic issues that need to be considered in the implementation of oil and gas sector activities;
- Coordinate sensitization meetings and stakeholder consultations with host communities and other relevant stakeholders and follow up on actions required;
- Ensure that all societal related grievances are handled promptly and professionally in order to maintain good relationship with host communities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Participate in regular field inspections and monitoring of oil and gas operations;
- Support land acquisition and compensation related activities;
- Participate in development of appropriate Information, Education and Communication materials for sensitization of communities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Mobilize host communities to participate in relevant oil and gas activities and programs;
- Monitor implementation of Resettlement Action Plans and Community Development Action Plans;
- Ensure that oil and gas activities are conducted in a manner that preserves the social and cultural heritage of the project areas;
- Provide input in review and development of relevant policies, legislation, standards, regulations and guidelines;
- Participate in review of reports including the ESIS, Audits and monitoring reports to ensure that social issues are adequately addressed;
- Contribute to the planning, budgeting and reporting on the activities of the department;
- Perform any other duties as may be assignment from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) Senior Social Affairs Officer job placement must hold a Master’s degree in Social Work and Social Administration (SWSA), Social Sciences, Sociology or a related social development field.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Hons) in SWSA, Social Sciences, Sociology or Social Economics, Community Development or any other social development related degree from an internationally recognized University
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant working experience, 3 of which should have been attained at supervisory level in a busy and well-organized institution.
- Demonstrated experience working in a leadership role in an organization/business unit/project with diverse professionals.
- A qualification in the oil and gas sector from an internationally recognized institution.
- Working experience in land acquisition, planning, and management functions
- Membership with nationally and internationally recognized professional bodies.
- Sound knowledge of land use and planning policies, laws, regulations, standards, and guidelines in the country.
- Familiarity with environmental and socio-economic issues related to the oil and gas sector.
- Innovative and with a proven high level of integrity.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Proven track record of outstanding performance.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Possess good administrative and negotiation skills.
- Track record of training and mentoring others.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in the relevant computer packages like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access, among others.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
Click Here(Register) -> Proceed to Application
- ONLY online applications will be considered.
- Applicants are required to scan and attach CERTIFIED copies of the required academic documents only e.g. Degree, Transcript, Diploma, A-level and O-level certificates and PLE results slip.
- Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
- Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.
- All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not more than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Deadline: 4th October 2021 by 11:59 pm.